The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge, furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. UNU’s mission is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU-International Institute for Global Health is one of 14 research and training Institutes that comprise the think tanks in the UNU system. UNU-IIGH was established in 2005 with the mission to advance evidence-based policy on key issues related to sustainable development and global health. UNU-IIGH aims to build knowledge and capacity for decision making by UN agencies, UN programmes and Member States towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Leveraging its position within the UN, UNU-IIGH works with a network of academic, policy and civil society experts to serve as a platform for critical thinking and exchange of knowledge and tools for policy influence and consensus-building.
1. Conducting research in support of the Institute’s programme of work focusing on:
2. Drafting and helping to finalise research outputs of various kinds
This may include policy briefs, blogs, academic journal papers and internal briefing papers.
3. Helping to convene multi-stakeholder meetings and discussions focusing on achievement of the following results
This may include the design and management of logistical arrangements, handling communication with external stakeholders, writing up minutes of meetings and conversations, and facilitating collaborative partnership work amongst participating actors
4. Contributing to the information, education and communication activities of the Institute focusing on:
5. Contributing to the routine management and administrative tasks of the Institute
This may include contributing to IIGH’s internal reporting obligations; preparing and chairing internal management meetings; and organizing internal seminars.
6. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Education and certification
• Experience in writing peer-reviewed manuscripts
• Knowledge of global health governance structures and processes
• Experience of work in a low and middle income country setting
• Ability to work independently
The successful candidate will be employed under a PSA contract and no reallowances apply. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including a monthly salary of US$3,028.92, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of contract
This is a full time employment. The duration of the initial contract is 1 year, which can be extended for an additional 12-month period.